Tuesday, March 29, 2022

What's your wish?

I had a birthday this week. With that celebration came the annual ritual or option of blowing out a candle and making a wish. I thought about it for a moment and figured, why not? Suddenly the candle is being set into the frosting and the lighter is getting prepped. Instantly all kinds of thoughts swirled through my head. Is this wish supposed to be for something serious; good health, financial security, an end to pending wars and Covid? Or should it be more lighthearted and for something fun? Should I wish for good things for those around me for things they've been working towards OR should I allow myself to be selfish and think solely of me? 

I know; you're probably thinking 'it's your birthday, of course it should be about you'.

Does this wish have to compare to a New Year's resolution? Probably not, because resolutions require goals and agendas and motivation and usually A LOT of hard work.

A wish should be more of a gift, perhaps a gift you simply give to yourself. Maybe you'll get what you wish for and maybe not, but nothing ventured nothing lost. Maybe it's simply about giving yourself permission to think outside of the box, to step out of your comfort zone, and to simply GO FOR IT ... whatever IT is for you.

In that split second that seemed to drag into ten in slow motion, I decided to wish for something different. Nothing tangible or measurable; but something more like courage. I wished to tap into my inner creativity and challenge myself to try something new. Something I had thought about and envisioned doing, but then my head would overthink each step. I wished for the courage to just let myself try. If I fail that's okay, at least I tried. But if I don't try how will I ever know whether or not I was capable of doing it?

What is IT for me? What was my wish about? I'm not sure I'm quite ready to share that part. I will give it a try and then share my results; good or bad.

What will you be wishing for when it's your turn?

No comments:

Post a Comment