Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Time For A New Normal

This week marks two years since our lives and how we lived them took a drastic turn due to Covid. For twenty-four months we've masked and unmasked, had the option to vaccinate or not, lost loved ones from either Covid or something else, or felt sheltered and isolated. We had to change how we lived our lives. We had to make some pretty tough choices.

For two years we've heard people say, 'I can't wait til things get back to normal'. For some scenarios that would be nice, but I think we've all changed a little during the last two years. Some have dug their heels in, some have isolated themselves even more than what was necessary. Some reached out and made more phone calls to family and friends. Many families have had more meals together.

Pre-Covid many people I knew were always busy, too busy for family, too busy for friends, too busy to stop and say hello, too busy for game nights and BBQs. As we're now adjusting to taking our masks off more and sitting next to people in church and restaurants and movie theatres, we need to take a minute and reflect. As we move forward now with baby steps it's a golden opportunity to decide what we want our lives to look like. Do we want to go back to the old NORMAL when we always found ourselves too busy and packing too much into our days? Do we want to make sure going forward we incorporate more ME time into our schedules? 

If I've learned nothing else during the last two years it's that it is very easy to get overwhelmed, overworked, and overstressed. I need to make sure I don't ignore the mental health signs and put myself right back on the treadmill of life that I so desperately wanted a break from. Now I will make sure I make time for reading the new library book, painting the new canvas, and listening to a new playlist. I'll continue to reach out to my kids and grandkids more often whether by texting or calling or driving out for the monthly outing filled with hugs and new memories.

What have you discovered about yourself over the last two years? 

Something new that calms and rejuvenates you? 

Something you didn't make enough time for before but will now?

No comments:

Post a Comment