Tuesday, March 23, 2021

The Hope Of Spring

We've had primarily great weather over the last week. We've had days filled with blue skies and sunshine, afternoons with a slight breeze, and thanks to the time change evenings with extended daylight offering up opportunities for a walk after dinner. Of course, it's still Michigan weather so with this time of year anything goes. The temperatures could change 25 degrees during a 24-hour period. Nonetheless now that we are officially entering the spring season, I find myself hopeful.

The winter was a long one, perhaps due to the pandemic and limited visits with friends and family. Outdoor dining and driveway visits just weren't happening unless you waved at a neighbor while shoveling snow off of the sidewalk.

Spring brings Lent, renewed hope, and an array of opportunities. I find my spirits lifted when I get to leave my desk in the late afternoon and take a walk around the parking lot. Working in a church has been extremely lonely these past twelve months with having the majority of our ministries and services being held virtually. Technology is great when it works, but there's nothing like actually seeing people in person. We aren't quite to the hugging stage, but we will get there. We miss social interaction. We miss human contact. We miss verbal communication in person.

In the autumn we have cider mills, pumpkin patches, Thanksgiving and Christmas to look forward to (even though this past season was limited). But once we get into January and February in Michigan the days can seem darker; it's dark when I leave for work and dark when I return home and pull my car into the garage. Yet, we are resilient and we've learned to get through it. Now spring is here and there is a renewed sense of hope; more daylight, slightly warmer temperatures, and outdoor walks again.

If you're still feeling dragged down (physically or emotionally) from the winter, know that you are definitely not alone. Walk with me and take some baby steps that will help you re-engage. Do a little spring cleaning. Make some plans for the summer; plan a getaway that you feel comfortable with, think of some ideas and ways to spruce up your landscaping, or simply take a walk and look for inspiration. Last week I found myself walking through a local garden center just to see the patio set ups and the colorful flower pots.

I know many of us have gotten used to being more isolated during this pandemic. I know that I will have to ease myself slowly back into indoor dining (it's been more than a year since I've eaten inside of a restaurant). It's all about baby steps. Every day that the weather is nice, push yourself to go outside even if you have no particular place to go. Go for a walk or a drive with the windows rolled down.

Life will improve from the way that it's been. So get out there and enjoy the spring weather and be reminded of the hope of the season.

What are you getting back to that you've missed?

2 comments:

  1. Getting a pansy pot made me happy! Knowing that more and more people are getting vaccinated makes me very hopeful! Time outside on a sunny day is always good for my spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you Sharyn! I'll bet the pansy pot looks great.

    ReplyDelete