Monday, March 9, 2015

Just be YOU!

Many people find it difficult to create a balance these days, and NO, I'm not referring to your checkbook. I'm talking about your life. We all wear many hats in our daily lives. We're someone's wife or husband, we're someone's mom or dad, we're someone's brother or sister, we're a son or  daughter, perhaps we're a step-parent, we're an employee, we're a caretaker, we're a financial provider, and hopefully we're a child of God. We're many things! And, truth be told, we're often exhausted.
 
We also tend to be perfectionists; we want to be our best and we want to be all things to all people. But last time I checked there were still only 24 hours in a day (expect this past weekend when we lost one). We don't allow ourselves to take a 'pass'. We don't say, 'On Monday I'll be your daughter and on Tuesday I'll be your wife and on Wednesday I'll be your employee and on Thursday I'll try to squeeze in being your mom.' No ... we try to wear ALL the hats simultaneously and we try to keep the balance and the momentum going. Undoubtedly there will be days when adding even one more description or role becomes too much. We don't want to do one thing not as good in order to make more time for something else, but I can almost guarantee there will be days when you need to stop and just be YOU.
 
So what do we do? How do we find the right balance when our lives become overwhelming? There is no right answer except that we need to be aware when we're reaching our temporary limit. It's o.k. to say you need a break, you need some help, and you need to regroup and reprioritize. Guess what? We're all human. Needing to stop and breathe is NOT a sign of weakness ... I think it's a sign of maturity. After all, we cannot be all things to all people all of the time. It's great to be selfless and always wanting to think of others first, but if you can't take care of yourself as well you won't be any good to anyone else.
 
I may not be able to help you wear your 'hat' of the week, but I can certainly listen if you're feeling overwhelmed. Email me, I'm good with listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment