Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Who or What Do You Pray For?

What kinds of things do you pray for? More importantly ... do you pray? When you do pray do you feel guilty for praying for something selfish or trivial? Most people it seems pray to either 'gain' something or 'eliminate' something. We may pray for the sick, the homeless, the sad, or the jobless in hopes of eliminating the negative aspects of their lives and gain the more positive ones. We may pray for good health, wealth or at least financial stability, relationships, discipline, and a stronger faith.

Whatever you choose to pray for, I think, is good - as long as it's coming from your heart. God knows your needs. I often pray for strength, direction, hope, and sometimes 'clarity'. I can learn to deal with things (both good and bad) in the human world if I have a better understanding of what I am dealing with. I will admit though that I often pray for signs ... a sign that I'm on the right track, a sign that I'm doing the right thing, or a sign that I'm actually moving toward fulfilling God's plan for me. It's easy to get off track or get distracted. For whatever reason we often think 'we' know what is best for us (as if we have any control).

I'll admit I am a work in progress. On a good day I think I have a small glimpse of what my life is actually supposed to look like. More often than not, I'm slightly off course. I know I need to learn to step back and not worry so much about tomorrow or next week or even next year. If I could just learn to take life one day at a time my shoulders would probably be a lot lighter. The load can get pretty heavy when you try to get through everything on your own.

My prayer for you today is one of hope, grace, forgiveness, patience, and mercy.

Blessings!


No comments:

Post a Comment