Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Misrepresentation: What Do You Actually Gain?

Have you ever felt like something (or someone) was misrepresented to you? Perhaps you leased a new car and the salesman told you all about an exciting new feature, but you found out a month later that because of that new feature your brand new car no longer has a spare tire. Did you feel that the transaction was misrepresented to you all for the sake of the sale?

Today I received an email from a company that I've used in the past informing me of 3 current employment positions they have available in my community. I immediately opened the email because I often share the job leads (if they're good) with members of my church congregation. The company was looking for a 'Full Time Executive Assistant to the CEO'. Sounds like a great opportunity right? I know a lot of people with amazing skills who have YEARS of quality experience and could benefit from this lead. So I read through the job responsibilities. 

  • Execute marketing plans
  • Assist in management of vendor shows
  • Prepare purchase orders
  • Manage donations and contributions
  • Handle travel arrangements
  • Prepare statistical reports for various departments
  • Record meeting minutes
  • Work with and for various department heads
... and the list went on and on. At this point you're probably wondering how many degrees they require. Well guess what? Bottom line is they're looking for someone to do ALL these responsibilities and about 20 more with a high school diploma OR 1-3 months of equivalent work experience for the grand salary of $12.00 an hour. Seriously? How many people with 20 years of hands-on experience, a bachelor's or master's degree in marketing, and a family of 4 to feed just felt majorly lead on?

So what did the company gain by misrepresenting their job lead? The actual qualified person read to the end of the list and said 'I can do all of that but I can't pay my bills for $12 an hour' and the high school graduate that they felt was apparently properly educated for the position never heard of a 'statistical report'.

I'm seriously hoping that this business (that shall remain nameless) that I've personally used for years made an error, because my opinion of them seriously changed after this misrepresentation. Unfortunately I have my doubts because the 2nd of their 3 job openings required some extensive communication and marketing skills for $10.00 an hour.

When was the last time you felt that something was misrepresented to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment