Tuesday, February 13, 2018

For The Love of Valentine's Day

My husband and I have a tradition of buying each other a card on Valentine's Day. Some years the cards have been more serious, some have been mushy, and some are silly. After 35 years of cards it can be difficult to find something unique. Going out on Valentine's Day for dinner was one of our first dates (I think it was actually our third). It turned out to be a make or break kind of date. I was overwhelmed; fancy restaurant, charming guy, falling snow, cool music, etc. He thought I wasn't interested and wasn't going to call me afterward. So what did I do? I waited a week and I called him! Needless to say, we had a fourth date and a fifth.

Valentine's Day for us can be pretty casual. We don't need to buy each other fancy gifts or go out for an expensive dinner. For us, we usually end up with a pizza and kicking back to just enjoy each other's company.

Don't get caught up in the Hallmark and candy side of the holiday. If you plan to celebrate at all, make a card (or buy one without all the bling), go for a walk, hold hands, and just enjoy the moment. Do something that feels special for you.

Yesterday I was looking at cards and came upon two other shoppers doing the same. We all took turns reading the cards and then flipping them over to look at the price. When did a good Valentine's card go up to $7.99? Oh my! One gentleman looked and looked and finally chose THE CARD he wanted and then grinned and proudly said, 'I'm getting the $8.00 card! You ladies have a nice night.'

I laughed and told the other lady that after 35 years it was getting more and more difficult to get the right card. She said, 'Wow! 35 years? That's awesome. I've only been married for four years. I think that's great you still buy each other cards.'

Who knew that standing in a store looking at an aisle of over-priced pink and red greeting cards could be an opportunity for three strangers to bond and have a real conversation?

In the end I picked out my perfect card (never mind what I paid for it, lol) and will tell my sweetie tomorrow that I love him, like I do every morning and every evening.

What will your Valentine's Day look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment