Monday, June 1, 2015

Don't Miss The Laughter

Life is constantly changing; often faster than we'd like. Many of us are consumed with what's next on our agenda. We're busy planning events that are a month or more away; weddings, graduation parties, baby showers, and birthday celebrations. I'll be honest; I sometimes find it extremely difficult to live in the moment. I'm always thinking, planning, and analyzing ... it can literally be exhausting. I am a list maker - there, I said it. I've heard that the first step to changing is acknowledging who and where you are in your life. Of course, then I analyze things a bit more ... What am I unhappy with? What should I change? How should I change it? When should I change it (whatever IT is)?

I try not to get too far ahead of myself, but it's hard not to. We plan vacations for next season. We plan household projects for when we think we'll have some spare time. We plan get-togethers with friends according to any empty spaces we may have left on our calendar.

The fact of the matter is that we can be as disciplined and as organized as we can, but we have no guarantees. Life doesn't work that way, it gets messy. Things happen; unexpected things. People get sick. Accidents happen. Situations change.

So how do we create a better balance in our lives? How do we plan responsibly for our futures, but still allow ourselves to appreciate the present? If we're always looking forward with an undistracted focus, we could easily miss the magnificent sunset from last night or miss hearing the laughter of an innocent child tomorrow. These are things we may never get another chance to see or hear. How sad would that be?

As usual, I don't pretend to have all the answers or even the best advice, but I can speak for myself and say that I don't want to miss the sunsets or the laughter. I can't promise that I'll be here forever; none of us can. Lately I've been reminded that God has his unique plan for us and it may not mesh with the ones we think we have for ourselves. I've been reminded just how little control we actually have in our own lives. If it were anyone else overseeing my life I'd probably be scared or at least a little nervous, but this is God we're talking about. The greatest blessings He ever gave us was life and having a vision. Don't be afraid to live or pursue your vision. He'll be with you and give you the strength and courage you need to face anything.

Having that kind of courage helps me to live for today just a little more. I may just need the rest of you though to remind me to slow down and appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment