Wednesday, February 8, 2017

What are your six words?

Last week I was meeting with a group of women. We were given the task of describing our life in just six words. The six words could be random, descriptive words OR they could be placed strategically together to summarize your life.

Could you do it? What six words would you use?
 
Sometimes I think too much, too hard, and definitely for too long (lol, now you know a little more about me). When I was given the opportunity, six words instantly swirled around in my head and formed an idea ... drum roll, please ... A NEVER ENDING JOURNEY OF CHANGE. Yep, those were my six words.
 
In an ideal world I would always have a plan, a To Do list with a place for neat little check marks, and I would always feel like I was doing my best, being super-productive, and always, always getting the job done. Ha! Then reality hits my ideal little corner; my protected bubble of space where I imagine nothing bad, or inconvenient, or uninvited will ever work its way in. Indeed, my illusions are shattered almost daily.
 
Life happens. People get sick and require your help. Co-workers leave their positions and your assistance is needed during the transition. Outside obstacles get dumped directly in your path of things YOU want to accomplish. It doesn't mean your dreams and goals always get squashed, but it's not unheard of that they will temporarily get delayed or even postponed for a little while.
 
When this happens, what can you do to not lose sight of your plans? How do you be what everyone else needs you to be and still remain true to yourself? That would be the million dollar question; one that if I had the answer to it I could help A LOT of people. There are some simple things we can do, like make an idea board. Create something visual so that every time you look at it you can't help but be reminded of what your goal is. Perhaps keep a journal; remembering what you are working towards, what is getting in your way, and what you can do to still move forward (if even in baby steps). Moving forward is always better than moving backward. It's not about the size of step, it's more about the direction that you are going.
 
I've had more than my share of CHANGE in my lifetime. I've had dysfunctional family relationships to overcome, I've battled a disease, I've invested my heart and soul into a solid marriage, I've raised two great kids (with my better half), I've been on financial roller coasters over the years thanks to the economy and change, and the list goes on ... but I am here now and I'd like to think that I am strong enough to overcome whatever life deals me. What are my goals and dreams? That's a funny thing. I have them now, but they look a lot different than they did 10 or even 20 years ago. Most likely they will look even more different in another 10 years, but I will keep facing forward trying not to worry so much about the slow pace.
 
I'd love to know ... what would your six words be?

No comments:

Post a Comment