Friday, December 30, 2016

The Year Is Winding Down

Tomorrow is the LAST day of the year. 2016 will soon be nothing more than another chapter in our life book. Surely, there were high and low points; no one's life stays on a constant horizontal balance 100% of the time. As New Year's Eve draws nearer it would be customary for people to talk about resolutions and goals; some undoubtedly will revolve around diets, relationships, jobs, and finances (they always do). Maybe what is better to think about is how did you do with your resolutions and goals from one year ago? Did you pick a goal that was repetitive? Have you been setting yourself up to fail? 

A year ago I got the news that my cholesterol was higher than I would have liked. My weight wasn't exactly where I wanted it to be. My overall attitude needed some adjustments. I sincerely needed to find better ways of dealing with anxiety and stress. So, here I am one year later and it is time for a progress report. My cholesterol has gone down and is still improving. I made some lifestyle changes and without any dieting I am down 22#. My attitude, like anyone else's, remains a constant work in progress. But on some days, I am proud to report, I feel like I am doing a little better.

I don't like picking resolutions on demand at the end of year with a party horn in my hand, they feel too forced for me. Goals can be a good thing, as long as they are reasonably attainable. For me, I would rather reflect on where I am today, think about what is working and what is not, and think about whether or not I can do anything at all to improve it.

If you check dictionary.com synonyms for the word 'resolution' include determination, perseverance, strength, and fortitude. I sincerely like the sounds of these words. They all suggest positive images and success. Rather than saying you want to lose 20#, tell yourself that when the end of the year comes you want to be a healthier you (whatever that looks like). Rather than saying 'I want a new job', pray for a sense of commitment, respect, and accomplishment in whatever you are doing. Rather than saying you want to be in a certain place in a relationship, work toward being in a healthier and stronger mindset - the rest will come when it is the right time.

I had a lot of highs and some lows in 2016. I stepped out of my comfort zone, tackled ballroom dancing and raised a lot of money for a great cause. I played with my granddaughter whenever I could. I added some flowers to my garden. I bought my first-ever pair of straight leg skinny jeans (and wasn't embarrassed to wear them outside of my house). On the downside, our family lost someone special, I have learned more about elder care and being a power of attorney than I ever wanted to know, and I still have moments when I deal with anxiety and insecurities (but who doesn't?).

So, what has been great for you in 2016? 
What's been not so good? 
Where do you see yourself one year from today?
How do plan to get there?

No comments:

Post a Comment