Friday, January 2, 2015

What Do People See?

Christmas was about many meaningful things, lots of time for reflecting and making memories, and if you're like me ... watching as many Hallmark movies as possible. Sure, we all know they will have a predictable ending, but that's o.k. With all of the surprises and chaos life can sometimes throw at us a little predictability can be a good thing.

There was one movie that was about 2 young people competing for a job at a department store as window dressers (not sure if that's the appropriate professional term or not). Decorating store windows can be the deciding factor of whether someone enters a store or not. It's meant to grasp their attention. Holidays tend to make good themes ... spring & autumn, Easter & Christmas, back to school, etc. But trust me, it's not an easy job. You've got to have a high level of creativity and be able to think of and understand what strangers will like. Store windows are merely facades. If done well they will tell a story and entice the customer to go in to see what comes next.

Here's a little known fact that may or may not surprise you. When I was in high school I was offered a full 4-year free ride to a design school. You've probably guessed by now that I didn't take it. Why? Because when the school's rep came to see me I learned that it was in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. For someone like me who had never been north of Cheboygen I had no idea just what their winters were like. When I looked at the housing brochures I didn't understand about the snow tunnels and the need for exit doors on the second floors. When she explained the concept and the amount of snow they got in the winter I had to accept the fact that I was not up to the challenge of becoming a Yooper (no offense to anyone who has thicker blood than me).

Yes, I was of the creative type. I had dabbled in many art styles and was bound and determined to become a highly respected store window designer. Life challenges us and sometimes we just need to decide which route is best for us and how we want to tackle the challenge. I've done many things so far in my life. Have I dressed any big store windows? No, but I have done a enormous amount of successful, creative wall displays and bulletin boards for my children's teachers (just ask them). Instead I tell my stories through words. I've written newsletters and had articles published. I've written speeches and I write a blog. Some day I may even write and illustrate a children's book. We will have to wait and see.

When have you ever been presented with a challenge that seemed bigger than you and did you decide to take a different route to achieve it?

No comments:

Post a Comment