Wednesday, June 18, 2014

It's All About The Journey

We all have goals and ambitions; and I’m sure we all focus intently on getting past the finish line. Whether we’re working on a big project at work, running a marathon, or working toward a personal goal of some sort I think it’s the journey itself that matters the most.
Our journey may or may not end as we originally planned, but the obstacles and achievements that we endure along the way are when we will learn valuable life lessons. We may discover our strengths, as well as our weaknesses. Our goals may even change during the course of the journey. We may find ourselves needing to step out of our comfort zones in order to get where we need to go.

Last night my daughter and I attended a team fundraiser for a 3Day breast cancer walk. I had participated in the same walk a few years ago so I knew the dedication it took and wanted to support this young team. I remember my goal; as well as all the planning, training, and fundraising that went along with it. Was I able to train for 20 weeks in preparation? Yes. Was I able to raise my required funds? You bet – I actually raised more than double than was required. Was I able to walk ALL 60 miles in 3 days? Sorry to say, but NO I wasn’t - I only walked about 48 miles. Sometimes all the planning, energy and enthusiasm we have for a goal isn’t enough to get us through. Do I have any regrets that I wasn’t able to complete my goal? Of course I do, but I didn’t walk away empty handed (no pun intended). I pushed myself for months and found an inner level of dedication and strength that I didn’t know I had inside me. Along the way I discovered that I had a voice and a passion for a cause AND that I was respected for what I had to say. I found that I LOVED talking to people I didn’t know to create awareness. Last night I told someone that I had discovered that I loved the fundraising portion of the journey more than the training part to which he replied, “I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say that.”
You never know what you’re going to discover about yourself or other people while on your journey. Consider the journey an adventure. Be willing to step outside your box. Be open to what may come your way. You never know … achieving your original goal may not end up being your biggest accomplishment.
What journey are you currently on?

No comments:

Post a Comment