Thursday, February 9, 2012

What kind of message do you send?

Today I'm going to take a stand and share something that bothers me. Today's society seems to encourage just about every kind of techy device you can think of ... Blackberrys, I-Phones, regular cell phones, lap tops, cell phones with Internet access ... you name it and we've probably seen it. The thing that I think people forget is that there is a time and place for everything. Don't get me wrong, a lot of these gadgets are great and some of us would be lost without them. My pet peeve is when people (of ALL ages) lose sight of the time and place part. One would think that some of these devices are joined at their hip, because they are really reluctant to put them down. In a day and age when many people take their work with them outside of a traditional office space, it's not uncommon or even wrong to see someone standing in a lobby or sitting in their car retrieving their emails or voicemails. I mean, people do need to work and the 9-5 scenario working in a bank or a cubicle isn't the norm for everyone.

Family and people (even strangers) are important, but that's not the message you send them when you talk, text, and play Angry Birds or Family Feud on your cell phone in front of them when they're trying to talk to you. The message you're telling them is 'You're important, but you're not 'put your cell phone down' important.' I've sat through many family gatherings where I've tried to talk to nieces and nephews that I don't see often only to have them never make eye contact and play on their phones in front of me. I mean, come on ... seriously? I've seen teachers and youth directors try to have discussions with students only to have kids send texts to the person sitting 2 feet away from them.

I'll admit I've pulled up photos on my phone to show my sister and niece while sitting in my mom's apt. only to have my mom say 'Can't you girls put those things away?' My resolution is to start being more aware of my own actions from now on. I can see how much  it bothers me so I can only imagine how I must look to someone else.

Time is the most expensive resource we have. We can't continue to steal it from others. We need to spend it wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment