Monday, January 9, 2012

How are you doing on your list?

There is a blog written by Jon Acuff that I follow occasionally. He has some good insights and puts a new and younger perspective on things that sometimes make me stop and think. He will take a topic and (in my mind) simplify it. I suppose there are times when we are each our own worst enemy and tend to get in our own way by complicating things. I can admit that I sometimes have a tendency to think too long and too hard and about too much – maybe that comes from age or experience, I don’t know. I wonder who came up with the bright idea that complicating things made them better or made them happen quicker and without stress. If I ever meet that person I might have to tell them what I actually think of their approach … of course first I’d have to think about it long and hard … lol.

We are now moving into our 2nd week of the new year. For some that means they are right on track with their resolutions. Others may still be thinking about what to actually write on their list. Still, others could be thinking ‘Are you serious, I’m still trying to get a handle on last year’s goals.’ Whichever scenario describes you best, you are probably not alone.

Jon Acuff has written a lot recently about his New Year’s list; what’s on his list of goals, how he plans to make them more attainable, about writing down the list and putting it somewhere so that you’ll have to notice it day in and day out, and about sharing your list with others in hopes of making yourself accountable and gaining support along the way. There is a lot of wisdom in his approach. On his blog site he asked people to actually write down their ‘list’ for 2012, take a picture of it and post it to his site. In this way it accomplishes a couple of things … #1 it puts your list out there for people to see and #2 it gives you the opportunity to gain support from others. Ironic … last week the Lay Preacher at my church talked about his goals for 2012 during his sermon. He said something interesting. He said that if you never share your resolutions and goals with anyone then when you don’t succeed or hit a rough patch, no one will know and you won’t feel as bad (because you didn’t let anyone else down). He said he was sharing his goals so that he would have more accountability. He had an excellent point.

I’m willing to give it a whirl in hopes of making myself more accountable and at the same time gain some feedback and support. So here goes nothing …

#1 – I plan to walk in a 5K breast cancer fundraising walk in May. I walked in the Michigan Susan G. Komen 3Day in 2010 and have participated in numerous Relay for Life events. As a cancer survivor, I feel that I have a responsibility to continue to celebrate life, raise awareness and fundraise for a better future for my daughter, my nieces, friends and strangers alike.

#2 – I plan to continue tweaking my blog. Writing is one of my passions and it brings me joy. I want to make it more user-friendly and find ways to obtain better reader feedback so we can all be supportive and share valuable insights with one another.

#3 – I plan to take at least one Bible study this year. Working at a church like I do, it’s not always easy for me to sign up for studies or attend events – strange as it may sound, it can make for a longer day (but I’m already on my way with this one. I signed up for a 6-week study that begins later this week.)

Now it’s your turn … share with me some of things on your list! It’s my turn to be there to support you.

No comments:

Post a Comment