Monday, June 20, 2011

A Change of Pace

I haven't posted any entries in just over a month and I apologize. From my previous postings you know I broke my ankle. I've spent a good portion of my free time going to physical therapy. Things aren't 100% yet, but are progressing ... which is good. Ok, so much for excuses. It's not like I typed on the computer with my toes (as someone pointed out to me on facebook after my last post), so having a broken ankle shouldn't have slowed me down in that aspect. Well ... there have been some graduation parties and the end of the school year... those excuses aren't working either, huh? Guess I'll just have to take responsibility for my lapse in writing and say that I got distracted by 'life'.

I've been spending as much time as possible when I'm not working to read and work in my flowerbeds. Quite a change from last summer. This time last summer I was very tanned already, very limber, and was doing A LOT of walking as part of my training for the 3Day 60-mile walk in August. This year I decided to cross the event off of my bucket list ... been there ... done that. Instead I made a gift basket for a previous teammate who is walking again and having a fundraiser. I do plan though to be at a cheering station for this year's event. And for me ... I recently attended a cancer survivor's celebration luncheon.

This summer I decided instead that I needed to take a break (although I didn't think it would involve any crutches and spend some time at home. I'm proud to say that my flowers have never looked better. I'm even playing Scrabble in the evenings with my daughter. I have 3 more weeks left of physical therapy and then I hope to be able to take some longer walks and perhaps go on some family bike rides.

A funny thing did happen to me though this past weekend ... as I was trimming a bush in my side yard I leaned over toward the bush and was surprised by a mother duck flying up into my face. Apparently my clippers upset her as she was sitting on a nest of 6 eggs. How was I supposed to know she was there or that she'd built a nest? Guess I should have known? I didn't think so. She flapped her wings at me, repeatedly quacked at me and flew off ... only to sit on a nearby rooftop and continue to quack at me. I quietly and discreetly cleaned up my mess and left her bread pieces as a peace offering. Apparently I've been forgiven because she is now back sitting atop her nest, but not without giving me the 'evil eye'. Did I mention I was REALLY sorry?

No comments:

Post a Comment