Friday, November 22, 2019

Random Acts of Kindness

The other day I watched a new Christmas movie on one of my cable channels. I look forward to these holiday movies because they are warm and fuzzy, kind-hearted, have no bad language or suggestive topics, usually have a moral, and almost always have a happy ending. Of course you can't get to the predictable happy ending without a few communication miscues about half way through that the main characters need to overcome, a little fake snow on the sidewalks, everyone almost always leaving their house with their indoor Christmas tree lights still on, and a roaring fire in the fireplace. My family and I usually make a light-hearted game of finding the things that we think are a little off; like when we see the main house decorated for Christmas and can name the other Christmas movie that used the same set a few years ago, or when someone pretends they're watering the gorgeous red and pink poinsettias only when the camera hits them just right you know that they are 'fake' plants. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing these movies ... the fact is that my husband and I LOVE them and start watching them in October just as soon as they hit our screen. They're the perfect answer to a long stressful day.

I love that each season the different stations share their holiday line up early on of this season's new movies. There's always the reruns of our favorites, but there's also the new ones. Last week I watched one of this year's new movies (please don't ask me which station it was on, I've been flipping a lot between Hallmark and Lifetime). This particular movie focused on a rich gentleman who was trying to change the way people were thinking during the busy holiday season; he was trying to remind them to slow down and enjoy the moment. He left calling cards that said 'Secret Santa' at the pop up food distribution center, the make-shift toboggan hill at the family center, and with the little boxes of candy that descended from the starry sky with attached iridescent parachutes. All just subtle reminders that someone could provide a nice gesture to a stranger.

The movie got me thinking though (which is probably what the director was hoping for) that not everyone has a spare bank account to fund these big gestures on such a grand scale. But that doesn't mean that we can't spread the same heartfelt holiday cheer on a smaller one-on-one scale. The smaller stuff can often feel more heartfelt and personal. Thanksgiving is coming up this next week and we all have so much to be grateful for; don't think so ... look around you ... things can always be worse. Maybe you're upset that your roof has a small leak; but think about the homeless person that is living in their car. You feel achy from the physical therapy you're going to, be grateful that you still have a hand that is giving you a problem (that would be me ... after a recent arm fracture and 6 weeks in a brace I've started my PT this week ... having the therapist start the process of forcing my wrist to bend once again hurt as bad as the day I fell on my arm, but in the end I am super grateful I did not need surgery).

Start now. Allow yourself to start feeling the holiday spirit; not the stress of going into debt for expensive presents people don't really need. It's okay to smile when you hear a Christmas song playing. Here in my town in Michigan, we got 9.5" of snow in one day in the middle of November (a freak occurrence for sure). The day after I read memes on social media blaming the sudden snowfall on the people that were listening to the Christmas music that was now playing on a few of the radio stations. Really? Can you say Grinch? If you don't want to listen to it, then don't. But don't begrudge the happiness it brings to those that do.

Well guess what? Not only were my husband and I thrilled the day they started playing the festive music, but we've been watching the holiday movies right along. Don't hate me, but we also put up and decorated our Christmas tree last weekend. I like to pace myself (especially since I'm still kind of working with one good hand). We still need to prep our winter village scene and get the outside lights up this weekend, but we'll get there. In the meantime though I don't anticipate our cheeriness causing anyone else any undue harm, lol.

So what can you do as a random act of kindness? Share your happiness with others by smiling and making conversation when you're standing in line at the department or grocery store. Buying yourself a fancy coffee? Extend your good wishes and pay for the person's order behind you. Hold the door open for the elderly gentleman using the walker or the young mother that is having difficulty maneuvering her massive stroller through the front doors of the mall. Move the abandoned shopping cart away from someone's car so they can easily back out (or pull in). Entertain the tired toddler in the shopping cart in front of you while the mother tries to unload her cart and pay for her order. Do whatever you need to do, but follow it up by wishing them a 'Merry Christmas' or 'Happy Holidays' or just wish them a 'good day'.

Small heartfelt gestures can have just as much impact as a box of free candy falling from the sky.

What have you done lately to make someone's day? 

Or better yet, what has a stranger done for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment