Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Unsolicited Optimism

We all have those days when we are feeling a bit stressed or overwhelmed. We try to deal with everything we are dealt with on our own. We often convince ourselves that if we can't keep up we must be weak, but realistically we all need a little help. Okay ... sometimes a lot of help. It's not always easy to keep up with the unpredictable curve balls that life seems to throw at us.

Sometimes to get through things we need a hug, or an encouraging cup of tea with a friend, or even a big bowl of ice cream (sea salt caramel usually works). Often though we just need a momentary distraction to help us regain perspective and strength. Surprisingly what helps the most is a dose of unsolicited optimism. Optimism and positivity are free and can be just what the doctor ordered. Sometimes it can even come from the most unexpected source; that's when it can feel like a successful intervention.

I had one of those days earlier this week; I had to take care of some unexpected family matters and was worn out (both mentally and physically from not sleeping). I had an opportunity to attend a BUNCO night for the ladies of my church. I planned to go and then almost talked myself out of it. I wasn't feeling social or upbeat and really didn't feel like talking, but decided to go anyway. One of the ladies that I occasionally talk to gave me an unsolicited giant dose of optimism and positivity. I certainly wasn't expecting it which made it all the nicer of a gesture. She was genuine and sincere and told me she liked my newest hairstyle. Crazy right? After a rough couple of days, how my hair looked was pretty far down on my list of priorities, but her compliment made me feel good. Then she told her sister about the pictures she'd seen of my summer flowers and how pretty and inviting my back patio looked. Wow! All these unexpected compliments from someone who didn't know I was feeling overwhelmed or down and could use a mental boost. 

Once again it goes to show the power of words. I know I say it all the time; that words have the power to build someone up or just as easily to tear them down, but it's so true. Saying something nice to someone may be just what they need at that moment. You don't need to know what they're dealing with. You don't need to have the answers they are looking for. You don't need to be able to fix anything. By just being upbeat and nice you are doing something special, you are giving them something they don't have at that particular moment. It doesn't take ANY planning on your part, not even extra effort. Just be nice. Keep it real. Open a door for someone at the grocery store. Tell a parent that they should be proud of their child because their child just picked up and returned a $5.00 bill to the elderly man who dropped it. It will let the child know that good deeds don't go unnoticed and it will let the parent know that they are doing a good job raising their child. Maybe that parent is feeling overwhelmed and raising the child all on their own. Maybe your sincere compliment is the reinforcement they needed that day.

As usual I have no answers on how to fix the world's problems, merely observations and experiences to share.

When was the last time someone caught you off guard with a nice comment or gesture? 
How did it make you feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment