Friday, February 7, 2014

An Olympic Wardrobe

 
I'm sitting here watching the opening ceremonies of the 2014 Winter Olympics. I'm seemingly fascinated with the importance of the wardrobes. Each country has their moment in the spotlight as they march in as a group. It amazes me the number of athletes there are and the ratio of athletes vs. country population, but the wardrobes seem to be a big deal. Imagine being the solo athletes who are representing their countries as individuals, the pressure is really on them to wear it well.

Some countries choose to dress very plain and dignified, matching the colors of their country's flag. Others attempt to be a bit bolder in colors, and others seem to tell a story. For example, Mexico's uniform resembled a matador. Germany's was multi-colored stripes. The U.S. is presently doing their walk in. Their Christmas-style sweater has been getting a lot of attention on the Internet and as usual opinions will vary. I've read everything ranging from 'add some jingle bells and some ornaments and you've got a winning ugly Christmas sweater' to 'the pattern is like a quilt, symbolic and telling a story.'

So 'who' gets the all-important task of designing the wardrobes? I'm not sure if I would welcome that role or not. I don't think I could be that creative. What do you think? Yay or nay?

No comments:

Post a Comment