Friday, May 24, 2013

Some Changes We Find Ourselves Not Ready For

Lately my blog has been about change. We've had A LOT of change in our recent weather, the economy and gas prices are constantly changing, and of course clothing styles change just about every season. A lot of these changes we find ourselves prepared for, others not so much. My daughter is currently going through a lot of changes. She's graduating from high school and preparing for college. Those are both HUGE changes. Now ... step into my shoes and just imagine the changes I'm feeling. As a parent we want to raise our children to be responsible and hopefully make sensible and well thought out choices, but being a parent doesn't end when your children graduate from high school. Their lives and our involvement are going to go through some drastic changes, some will be pleasant and others will undoubtedly be stressful. I have 2 children, although the older one is no longer a child - he's a man. But guess what? As parents we still worry and we still get anxious, but that's o.k. It just means we care.
 
I've heard the term 'empty nester', but I'm not sure if I'm ready for all that that term encompasses. I'm close with my kids (and proud of it) and while I want them to be independent I'd be lying if I didn't admit that I'm going to miss my daughter (like I already miss my son). Some would say that it's my turn to spend some time on myself and my interests and they might be right, but if this is going to work for me I think I'm going to have to take some baby steps. Being a parent isn't like trying to quit smoking where quitting cold turkey is said to be the best way.
 
Have you experienced this kind of a change? If so how did you handle it? I'd love to hear your take on how to loosen the apron strings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment