Thursday, February 28, 2013

How many hats do you wear?

The other day I did some online research to find a word for someone who wears many hats. I discovered a lot of information about types of hats (top hats, baseball hats, fedoras, bonnets, etc.), reasons to wear hats (because it’s raining or because you’re doing construction), would you date someone that wore a hat (or were they trying to hide something), and even ‘why’ someone would make a hat out of tin foil (I’m still not sure about that one). While all of this information was quite interesting, it wasn’t exactly what I was looking for. I was looking more metaphorically at people wearing many hats in the things that they try to get done.

I’ll admit there are days when my TO DO lists need sub-categories because they’re too long. I’m a mom, a wife, an aunt, a daughter, a sibling, an employee, a high school band booster, a church goer, a problem solver, a chauffeur, a cook, a social secretary, etc, etc. But I’m not any different than most people. Many of us try to be many things to many people. That in itself can get overwhelming, that much I do know.

So why do we torture ourselves? Why do we take on even more to do when our plate is seemingly already full? Is it because some of us have a hard time saying NO? Is it because deep down we don’t want to disappoint anyone? If I had all of the answers I don’t suppose I would be writing this blog right now. I’ll admit I’ve been known on occasion to overextend my time, but who hasn’t? Surely I’m not alone in this dilemma. I’ve gotten a little better in some aspects. I’ve learned to step back from time to time and say NO (although probably not as often as I should). In some areas of my life I’ve come to the conclusion that if I say I can’t do something someone else will step up and fill my shoes and the item in question will indeed get done; perhaps not the same way that I would have done it, but you know what? … that’s o.k. Maybe part of it is having control issues, perhaps part is our subconscious desire to feel needed, and maybe part is wanting to be in total control … oh wait, I already said that one. Oops.

So how many hats have you worn this week alone? That should narrow down the range for you just to make things simpler.

No comments:

Post a Comment