Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Life Is An Adventure

Life is an adventure, full of surprises, and its share of ups and downs. No one ever said that life would be easy and unfortunately life has never come with a handbook. There are certainly times when I wish it did.

I remember being pregnant with my first child. People meant well and were full of insights and advice, but if I'd listened to everything everyone told me I guarantee I would have never made it to the hospital on time and my son would have been born in the car racing to get there. People told me not to panic that my baby would be quiet for a few days before birth, that he was just 'saving up his energy' to be born ... not in my case. My son kicked for a solid week and then through the whole delivery. I guess he was anxious and ready. People told me that when he came home he would need to be fed every four hours. I worried when he didn't want to drink at 2am ... he just wanted to sleep, then a nurse told me 'Are you crazy? Never wake a sleeping baby.' When you're young and it's your first child you try to listen to EVERYONE, but sometimes that just drives you crazy. Eventually you learn to trust your own instincts. One thing I can tell you is that you will have way more confidence the 2nd time around. Luckily my firstborn survived. lol

Six years ago I went through cancer treatments. That was definitely a period in my life when I was scared and uncertain. I had so many questions and wanted answers and insights. I was fortunate to have a great support system. Not everyone could give me the insights I needed, but most were there to make me laugh, be supportive, and make the occasional meal for my family. I did meet two ladies though (both cancer survivors) who were able to share those special insights about symptoms, medication reactions, roller coaster emotions, nutrition, self doubt ... you name it. I don't know what I would have done with Angel Laura or Lori. There were both a real God send.

I like to think that God will never throw more at me than He knows I can handle. I still have doubts often, but I know He is strong and will watch over me and protect me.

If you're experiencing one of life's ups or more importantly one of the downs, remember that you are never alone. Don't try to carry all of the burden yourself. No one's shoulders are meant to carry that much. The load will always be lighter and easier to bear when you share it. I know many of us have a difficult time accepting help. We all want to think that we're stronger than that, that we can do it all on our own. I also know it can be extremely humbling to ask for help or even for someone to just listen. But God never intended for us to be a 'solo act'. Think of all the times you've been there for someone else. Now be willing to let them return the favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment