Tuesday, November 29, 2011

How tech savvy are you?

Here's a question for you. How tech savvy are you?

Do you have one of those fancy new phones that talk to you? Are you obsessed with playing games and twittering on it? I guess the extent that I use my cell phone is to talk on it, send text messages, and take the occasional photo. I don't have Internet access and I don't play any games on it. Call me old fashioned I suppose.

Do you have Wii or X-Box? I don't, in fact my son still has his Nintendo 64. He says 'If it's not broke why replace it?' Great question, don't you think?

I'm not knocking all the neat technology out there, I just wonder sometimes what people do with ALL the stuff they can't wait to replace. Seems like such a waste to me. I'm the first one to admit that I would be lost without a computer. I use the one at home, the one on my desk at work, and often the ones at the library. I'd love to get a laptop someday but in the meanwhile my wonderful 16 year old daughter just created an account for me on the used laptop her older brother gave her. Did I mention that I have great kids? If I didn't I should probably repeat it. 'I HAVE GREAT KIDS!'

Over Thanksgiving break my son was in town and helped his sister set up some games on her laptop. We sat on the couch and tried several of them. We thought shooting the arrow at the right angle to knock the apple off the man's head was fun until we missed and apparently decapitated him and watched the animated character bleed out. We both squealed and that was the end of that game. Then we moved on to a better one. It's a site that lets you do typing tests. It will put a passage of words on the screen from a novel or speech and while being timed you have to retype the paragraph with the exact words that you see. If you type something wrong it lets you know and you have to backspace in order to correct it. In the end it tells you your WPM (words per minute) and your accuracy rate based on the number of mistakes you made. For someone like me who types ALL the time, but NEVER took a typing class in school - it's a lot of fun and improves my skill. The best part of the typing test (at least for me) was reading the passages that they put up. They were all extremely random. Some were even in Old English (which really hampered my wpm).

Here was one that I especially liked.

People are often unreasonable and self-centered.
Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives.
Be kind anyway.
If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway.
If you feel happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
Give the world your best, and it may never be enough.
Give your best anyway.
For you see, in the end, it is between you and God.
It was never between you and them anyway.

~ Mother Teresa ~

Wise words, don't you think? Definitely something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment