Wednesday, March 27, 2013

What's been your greatest milestone?

What exactly is a milestone? I suppose it could mean different things to different people, but Dictionary.com defines a milestone as a specific event or stage in a person's life, progress or development. Some people may have more than others, but everyone has them. They're inevitable. Some just stand out to us more or are forever imprinted in our memories.

Most of us will have a first day of kindergarten, a first crush, a first best friend, a first 'A' on a hard test, a first kiss, the day you get your driver's license, and a first 'official' date. Others will be fortunate to move on in life and have a wedding day, the moment you hold your children in your arms for the first time, anniversaries, watching your kids play Little League or get the lead in a school play. Of course, not all milestones will be happy ones. Any event that shapes your life, you who were and who you become, will be a milestone.

Lately I've been thinking about the milestones in my life. I've been blessed in so many ways. I got married to a wonderful, loyal, giving man over 30 years ago. I have 2 amazing children (although they're not really children anymore). I'm a 7-year cancer survivor. I have a job that I like. I get to wake up every morning and praise God that I can.

Life is good, but it's definitely not over. I've got a lot of time left to embrace more milestones. What do I want to accomplish still? I'd like to write a book. I'd like to ride in a hot air balloon. I'd love to bounce grand kids on my knee. AND I want to be on Wheel On Fortune. Whether these things will happen or not, only God knows. But life is all about surprises. Some of the best milestones are accomplishments that you've worked for years to attain. Maybe the first time someone sang a song that you wrote or the first time you completed running in a race or when you got that one special job that you really wanted. Yet again, others are surprises - things we didn't plan, or expect, or even think we wanted ... but ultimately turn out to be amazing gifts.

As always, one cannot read my blog without me posing a question to you, whether or not you choose to answer is entirely up to you (but I really hope that you will).

What's been your most memorable milestone to date?

No comments:

Post a Comment