Thursday, November 3, 2011

So what's stopping you?

Today is a BIG day for me! I'm taking some quality time for myself. Sure I still have my never-ending TO DO list at home on the counter ... AND there's the one in my desk drawer at work ... AND there's the abbreviated short list I brought with me today as I'm out and about. But for right now I'm at the library (my favorite Zen place) making my plan. What is my plan you ask? Ok, so maybe you didn't actually ask, but I'll humor myself and answer anyway. I'm attempting to make my plan about HOW I can go about achieving something I've always wanted to do.

When we're teenagers we think we are invincible. We think we know so much! We think we have 'it' all figured out. And we think we know what our goals are and what we're going to do with the rest of our lives. Then a thing called LIFE happens. I'm certainly not saying that when our life detours and takes a different course it's a bad thing, because that certainly wasn't the case for me. But I am honest enough to admit that sometimes when LIFE knocks on our door, our journey takes a detour. My detour was meeting a wonderful guy and falling in love, then raising a family (which is an ongoing process), and working at a job that I thoroughly enjoy (but never saw myself doing ... it wasn't part of my plan), etc., etc. My point is that goals don't always come with a clearly defined timeline.

So what was my goal so many years ago? It was to be a legit writer. Technically I suppose I am. I've written some heartfelt articles for my church's newsletter, I write solid monthly council reports for my job, when I ran a specialized marketing company for aviation I wrote 1,000+ marketing packages for aviation personnel, I write daily super organized TO DO lists, and I've written continuously on 2 blogs. But now it's time for something bigger.

The question for me is whether my writing goal from 25 years ago is the same goal I have now. Is the topic something I still feel as passionate about? That's something I need to take a hard look at. A lot has happened in my life since I was a teenager. I've been married for 29+ years, have 2 amazing children (ages 16 & 25), am a 5-year cancer survivor, and have grown spiritually in ways I never would have thought possible.

So do I still want to write a series of children's books or do I want to write a heartfelt journal for women in their 40s who've been blindsided with a beast known as cancer and come out of it stronger, healthier, and wiser? Big decision, I know. Maybe there would be a market out there for one of them or both of them. I don't know. Maybe there are already enough of both on the market. Maybe people would want to read them, maybe they wouldn't. But I suppose I'll never know unless I start writing. It could take me a while, but bear with me. We're all a work in progress.

Enough about me. What were some of the goals you set for yourself when you were younger? Have you accomplished them? If not, what's stopping you?

No comments:

Post a Comment