Friday, August 5, 2011

What a busy week!


I feel like I've neglected my readers and this blog lately. Sorry about that. Last week I took 4 days of R&R (minus the rest) to drive south with my family. 1,150 miles in 4 days doesn't leave a whole lot of time for sleep. I got to spend time with my son in Bloomington, IN and then (as a family) we drove further south on Saturday to attend my brother's wedding in Louisville, KY. I had a really good time! The weather was mostly clear (but hot) - one night we watched an unbelievable lightning storm. It never did rain but for an hour we watched the sky continually light up with horizontal lightning bolts. That's something I'm not used to seeing. I've seen vertical bolts look like they stretch from the top of the sky all the way down to ground, but can't say that I've ever seen that much horizontal lightning. It was almost as if someone was flashing huge construction lights at us ... at one point when we were outside walking back to the van my kids said they could actually feel vibrations coming up through the ground and up their legs. That was a bit freaky. I must say we ALL got back to the van pretty quickly after that.

The wedding, though, was wonderful. My brother and his new bride make a beautiful couple. The chapel was historic and had amazing stained glass windows. It was really something special to see.

We got back late on Sunday night because I needed to be back to work for Monday morning. The church where I work was hosting VBS (vacation bible school) all this week. More than 130 children were registered. The weather held out (a true blessing when you have games to be played outside), no one was injured, no one got sick, no one got lost, and except for a few minor cases of 'mommy-itis' the week went off extremely well. I always enjoy watching the enthusiasm that the children (and volunteers) display. The theme days are always a highlight ... pajama day, mismatch day, crazy hair day (my favorite), and dressing like your new friends for twin/triplet day.

Needless to say, it's been a long 10 days or so but I'm hoping to get back on track now. Although I'm not sure how I would react if I had a non-busy life to live. That's one of the secrets to staying young at heart, right? I hope so, because that's what I always try to tell myself.

So what's on my horizon now? Let's see ... maybe find an hour or so to clean up my flowerbeds this weekend, get primed for volunteering at my daughter's high school marching band mini-camp next week, and hopefully finish up my current library book since I got an email this morning that the next book that I had on hold is in.


After weeks like this I think I know just how a hamster on a wheel feels ... kind of like you're not sure if you're coming or going. But exercise is good for you, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment